CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Get Your Recession On

I have become one of those people. The "I remember when gas was 89 cents a gallon, eggs were 59 cents a carton, and stamps were only a quarter" people. In case you have been living in a cave with Bin Laden, you may have heard rumor of the economy tanking.

I actually majored in Economics in college. So very not fitting to a Diva personality, but whatever! The side effect of that unfortunate four year collegiate stint is that when the reporters start getting all technical on CNN, I actually understand what they are saying. It brings back "Nam-like" flashbacks from my junior year. But, I digress.

The headlines out there are aimed to scare us Divas away from the makeup counter and straight into the warm office of our financial institutions. IRA's, CD's, 401k's? Not this Diva- I totally prefer DKNY, M.A.C., and D & B. Plus, what good is a portfolio if you are carrying it in a reusable shopping bag? (side note: I totally heart the reusable shopping bags from Trader Joe's... they are so funky!)

My DH is more a fan of having cash and stability, so I have had to find a happy middle. Break out the text book... Diva Mom is coming out of retirement. Time to put that over-priced college education to use.

First step: Set up a budget that allows contributions to savings accounts, my hubby's bi-monthly poker games, my monthly (read: weekly) impulse purchases at Target (oh, I covet you red stickered discount item), tivo, gas for our two environmentally unconscious SUV's, gym membership (hah- not for me!), all my monthly medications (YAY!), keeping the Diva's fed and clothed and looking fabulous. I'll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime, I've got my eye on you CNN scroll... you can't scare me.... I am a mother of two Divas; I don't scare easily.

1 comments:

meg said...

Sweet Diva! You are going to single-handedly bring our nation (nay, the world!) out of the doldrums!! Yeah to Amanda's purchasing power! I wish we had millions and millions of other such brave souls (because I'm scared and stocking my savings - which is NOT helping said economy one bit).

PS - glad you blogged!