CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

V-day

When I was sixteen I went to work for a florist for a summer job. It was a pretty neat job, much dirtier than I expected, but taught me quite a bit about flowers and floral design. I stayed for five years. :O)

When Valentine's Day approaches I get these "Nam-like Flashbacks" of my days at the florist. Most of the year it was pretty laid back.... but Valentine's and Mother's Days and the weeks leading up to them were horrible. We were so busy- new orders, more shipments, etc. I won't bore you with the details.

My then-boyfriend would never buy me flowers. His reasoning was I was exposed to them all of the time, why would I want them at home? He must have failed to notice that I bought fresh flowers for my house every week. My reasoning is he was a cheap bastard... but that's another post.

I don't really got "in" to Valentine's Day. I think it is cute when kids give one another Valentine's, but that is about the extent of it. I may cut the kids pancakes into heart shapes or something, but that's about all.

1 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm the same...I got the girls cards (and Jason of course) but I don't want to take it any further than that...I'd rather give them a special gift (flowers, stuffed bear) on another day "just because" to show them I love them than on V-day where they might eventually think we do it just because the world tells us too. I didn't know you worked at a florist for that long :) My mom took tons of floral arranging classes in college but never did anything with it.